A quick look at my little world.

Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Worship Industry?

I was reading a blog today, SerialYouthPastor, and came across a video on YouTube about worship. The question posed, "Is worship becoming a consumer industry?" The video is by Brian McLaren. I agree with most of the video - especially the parts at the beginning. Of course, I'm not sure about everything Brian says. I think he goes a bit too far on the last part.

What do you think?





I'll be back later to post a very funny letter of recomendation - at least I think it is funny.

3 comments:

Rick Womack said...

he's been saying this since i heard him years ago - interesting thing is that the demand tends to determine the outcome of how something is produced - the same article could be said regarding curriculum - that is, we need discipleship, so lets create a resources (an industry product) - that too is 'art' - it's not necessarily visual, it's more graphic - somehow i don't thing God seems less real because of marketing - i could extrapolate that thought and say that God seems 'somehow less real' because of the books he has written (again, an industry) - is God in it all? probably not! can God use it? absolutely and He does.
enough rambling, thanks for the link and making me think today...be blessed and keep me posted on events there.

Chris Day said...

Jeff,
Thanks for the link to my blog. I agree and disagree with McLaren here. I do remember when worship music was done only by the Gaithers. I do think worship has come a long way in the last 10 years. However I do remember when not every Christian band did a worship album. When bands started doing worship albums they were looked down upon.

But once everyone started seeing that the public like them then everybody started doing them. I do think "worship" has gotten too consumeristic.

Jeff Smith said...

The more I think about this post, the more I'm unsure about what I think. One, I think we can "over-think" this issue. It is a matter of the heart. Two, it is a matter of perspective. What I see happening and what you see happening and what may really be happening can be 2 or 3 different things. I say tread here with much caution and prayer.